Enter to win one paperback of because, from now until September 14, 2016.
Virginia has just started approaching libraries in Ontario to see if they would take because and make it available for their customers and so far a few have acquired it for inclusion in their collection.
This is exciting for us since getting books into libraries is not easy, especially for self-published books. In most cases, libraries will not purchase self-published materials although exceptions may be made if the materials are of local interest or of popular demand that meet the selection criteria. Often libraries follow a list of specific selection criteria when considering books for their collection but a book does not need to satisfy all criteria in order to be accepted:
- Suitability for meeting the needs and interests of the community
- Artistic and literary merit
- Authoritativeness of the writer and reputation of the publisher
- Attention of critics, reviewers and the public
- Popular demand and current trends
- Clarity, accuracy and logic of presentation
- Adequate breadth and depth of coverage
- Local content of a significant nature
- Availability of similar material within the community and other libraries
- Relation to existing collections and other material on the subject
- Suitability of subject, style and quality of physical form, layout and construction
- Space requirements
- Purchase price and other budgetary requirements
- Special value as a contribution to social questions and problems of continuing or topical interest
- Timeliness or permanence of the work
- Importance as a record of the times
It helps that because has been well-reviewed by established review journals like Kirkus Reviews, Midwest Book Review and IndieReader along with our readers’ reviews. We were told that our video and detailed publication information on our website also helped in getting the book approved.
Those people Virginia contacted were super friendly and helpful, they made her feel so welcomed! We are so grateful for their assistance in getting because into these libraries. It’s going to take some time to get through long lists of libraries. By the way, did you know that there are more than 300 libraries, not counting branches, in Ontario? And as some libraries just purchase the book without letting us know, we won’t have a complete list but if you happen to find out that because is available at your local library, would you please let us know? Or better yet, when you drop by your local library next time, ask for because and if the library doesn’t have it, your librarian may order a copy just for you 🙂